What you don’t know CAN hurt you!
Prevention is the best medicine.
Things you can do to prevent a venomous bite or sting:
- Remove liter, wood, paper, logs and debris from your yard
- Wear heavy work gloves when working outside in the yard
- Keep doors & windows tight with good weather stripping
- Make sure that other openings (a/c, swamp coolers, exhaust fans, etc.) are closed, sealed or encircled with double-sided sticky tape
- Fill all cracks in the foundation of the house & around water faucets
- Look before you place your hand under or into something
- Make periodic checks for bee hives or swarms; Have the hives immediately removed, do not try to remove or burn them out yourself
- Do not leave shoes, boots, clothing or towels outdoors
- Wear shoes when outdoors especially around the pool in the evening
- Call your local fire department for help in removing rattlesnakes and Gila monsters that don’t leave on their own
BANNER POISON CONTROL 1-800-222-1222